It was a Tuesday, a black Tuesday called so rightly by the Americans. On this very day in September, 2001, they got an unfortunate feel of the terror of worst kind, a catastrophic one by all standards. It was something the Indians have been facing, confronting and tolerating for more than two decades, first in Punjab and currently, to utter grief and discomfort in Jammu& Kashmir and parts of North East and central India. The saga of terrorism, judging by its current trends, patterns and mammoth manifestations, it appears, is going to give sleepless nights for quite some time to come.
2. It may not be out of place to mention that in the recent past, emergence as also unflinching, consistent and regular support to at least three monstrous Frankensteins, namely, Sant Jarnail Singh Bhinderanwale, Pirbhakaran and Osama Bin Laden has played a kind of havoc with the very existence of humanity. They, alongwith their blind but highly motivated, vociferous and extra aggressive supporters, followers and brethren, have been, in a position to sow the seeds of hatred and revenge in several vulnerable parts of the world. In more than one location, healthy sprouting process has been ensured due to deep-rooted indoctrination in what is termed, ’pockets of poverty’. Moves are also afoot to carry out further augmentation, proliferation and strengthening of a sort of religious war (Jehad). Ever rising number of senseless suicide bomb squads may not have any parallel nor will it have any solution in the immediate future.
3. Owing to such anti-humanity developments, the sacrificial goats have been education, culture, a healthy way of life, objectivity and rationality, what to talk of severe loss to the feeling and urge for universal peace, stability and brotherhood. Consequently, what matters is an unsatiable lust for power and authority with ensured support of narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances and above all, small but lethal arms. Acute drug-addiction among the warring factions in Afghanistan is by now, a well established and known phenomenon.
4. The battle-hardened, ’unemployed’ warriors of Afghanistan first tried to a considerable success, their hand in ‘fertile’ Jammu & Kashmir. Due to sudden turn of events, they had, perhaps, no option but to return to their motherland to defend their Taliban brothers against an Occidental attack led by an extremely powerful & revengeful USA, a nation, herself responsible for perpetuating and perpetrating the cult of shameless and senseless killings in several parts of the world.
5. Their tentacles are growing swiftly and rapidly and sometimes in a manifold fashion, all over.
In their endeavour to combat, not only UN is lending an unconditional assistance but India owing to its vast miseries of the recent past and historical compulsions vis-à-vis Pakistan, has also ensured all support at this crucial juncture. Commitment to check the menace of terrorism at last, appears to have gathered momentum. There, is perhaps, nothing to look back and ponder over.
6. Coming to the live theatre of the ongoing war, the military objective of capturing Kabul and other cities of Afghanistan seems to have been side-lined in favour of finding a ‘suitable’ replacement for the Taliban regime. It is an irony that the populace of the devastated land, instead of having a say in their domestic affairs have to be dependent once again on the whims and fancies of the super powers. These very forces were instrumental in installing the Talibans as also their predecessors responsible for overthrowing monarchy in once ‘liberal’, yet Islamic country.
7. The history has shown that the Afghans have seldom permitted the outsiders to have any hegemony over them. It is, therefore, sad that on account of such an attitude and approach, Afghanistan, instead of catching up with the fast moving universe, has been relegated to the medieval times. There is no institution worth its name, nor is there any urge or desire on the part of the citizens to look forward. All that matters is to target and strike vehemently in the name of ’Jehad’.
8. It would be significant to note that subsequent to almost a month of consistent and forceful attack with most sophisticated arms, weapons and newly developed bomb-lets, the US Defence Secretary is on record to have said that not enough has been achieved and that the US led forces may not be in a position to nab Osama-bin-Laden. Equally disturbing are the developments relating to killings, allegedly by the Talibans of once expected alternate leaders, such as, Ahmed Shah Masood, Haquani and Abdul Huq. The former king, Zahir Shah may also be out of reckoning sooner than expected in view of recent diplomatic setbacks.
9. In view of above, it may perhaps be pertinent, prudent and appropriate to submit that it is an advantage India situation which she must and has to capitalize at any cost. This is the time when India should decisively display and share its expertise in intelligence gathering and counter-terrorism measures followed by steps with cautious optimism in order to further expose its hostile and unfriendly neighbour. In the ultimate analysis, she should seek to emerge as a force to reckon with.
10. It may not be forgotten and undermined that America’s loss or blow of immediate past may be India’s significant gain ever. We, nevertheless, need to do our home task with a certain degree of caution and care, coupled with a more polished, shrewd and refined diplomacy, especially , during our future deliberations with the emissaries of the super powers and the forthcoming UN General Assembly session, wherein main and dominant theme of discussions is likely to be global terrorism.